TAX REFORM AND CONTROL STATE SPENDING WITH RESPONSIBLE BUDGETING
• Fair and more competitive tax rates
• Eliminate many of the sales tax exemptions
• Reduce manufacturing property tax rate
• Lower business tax rate to level the playing field for new and existing businesses
• Reduce the negative impact on 6% properties of Act 388.
• Lower tax rates across the board
• Accountable, accessible, and open
• The public should know how elected officials voted
• Sunshine is synonymous with credible government
• Funding – equity – out of the 130 +/- million sent to Columbia for the primary education funding formula, Beaufort County gets zero
• School choice to increase competition and provide opportunities for children in failing schools
• Support the creation of the Department of Administration to move important functions of State government to their appropriate branches for cost savings, effectiveness, improved services and accountability.
• Support allowing voters to reduce the number of constitutional officers: Governor and Lieutenant Governor should run on the same ticket.
• Support a shorter legislative session. Legislators should go to Columbia for the purpose of establishing policy and passing laws, and then go home to live with the laws they have passed, making them more accessible for constituent service.
PRESERVING AND PROTECTING NATURAL RESOURCES
• Protecting natural assets that distinguish South Carolina is of paramount concern and this issue is supreme. Coastal areas are unique and DHEC one-size-fit-all regulations do not adequately protect the Lowcountry.
• Support flexibility in local option sales tax statutes to include purchase of rural and critical lands.
STATE INFRASTRUCTURE IMPROVEMENTS AND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT
• Advocate state support for both highway infrastructure and economic development infrastructure improvements, seeking fair, equitable and objective standards-based determinations of the deployment of the state’s limited financial resources.
• Make the State more competitive (tax code) and the region more fertile (infrastructure) to promote job creation.
• Roadway improvements – advocate widening of I-95, improvements to Exit 8 and Exit 3, Bluffton Parkway Phases 6 and 7.
STRENGTHEN PRIORITY INVESTMENT ACT
• Support comprehensive planning by requiring compliance with comprehensive plans following annexations.